Charles WOOLGER and Elizabeth LANHAM
Elizabeth LANHAM

These photographs were donated by Barbra Gospel. [Sorry, broken E-mail link, under investigation]













Elizabeth WOOLGER nee LANHAM
Mother of Charles, William Francis and Ethel Daisy

(Born circa 1868)

Ethel Daisy WOOLGER
Sister of Charles

(1891 to 1954)





Ethel Daisy WOOLGER












Elizabeth’s eldest child
(1890 to 1964)

William Francis WOOLGER
Youngest brother of Charles

(1900 to 1978)




A Biography of Charles WOOLGER, written by his Granddaughter, Barbra Gospel

Charles WOOLGER was baptised on 11 March 1866 at Esher, Surrey and he was the son of Frederick WOOLGER, a carpenter by trade, and Fanny CARPENTER.

Charles married Elizabeth LANHAM on 12 March 1890 at St. George Hanover Square, London.  They had five known children, Charles 1890; Ethel Daisy 1891, Mabel 1893, Eva May 1895 and William Francis 1900.  This is a much traveled family as they moved from London to Staindrop in Teesdale and then to Hurworth near Darlington and all during the 10 year period that their children were being born.

Their son Charles emigrated to Australia and married Lillian Pauline SMAILES there in 1920.  Charles died in 1964 and is buried with his wife in Camden Cemetery, Sydney, New South Wales.

The following biography of Charles WOOLGER has been written by his granddaughter, Barbra Gospel:

Charles Woolgar - now here is the man who married my Grandmother after she was widowed. 

Charlie was loved and respected by everyone who ever knew him.  He was a little overshadowed by his very strong wife but was always cheerful and obliging, friendly to all, an adoring husband  and a loving father and grandfather.     There was only one thing in his life which  was as important to him as his wife and  that, to her chagrin,  was the Spinx Lodge.  I do believe he might have even been known to put the Lodge first on one or two occasions.  Millie, as he called her, never came to terms with her competitor in fact, when he was elected Lodge Master, she refused to accompany him to functions as was the role of the Lodge Master's wife.  This did not deter Charlie one bit - when a partner was absolutely  necessary, my Mother played the part.

In all fairness to my Grandmother I recall there was, what she thought to be, a very good reason for her non-support but I don't know what it was and the situation never  ever changed.

In later years, my brother Brian was discovered in a rather compromising situation by Nan and Grampy.  "They will never let you in the Lodge Brian" said Grampy, "They will never let you in the Lodge!!"   As though this was the very worst punishment available.

As a small child I called him Larlie, and Grampy when I became a little older and more sophisticated.

He emigrated to Australia as a young man, leaving all of his family  behind in England. 

I have not found the date of his arrival but in 1915 he married a lady named May Mitchell and a little girl, Olga M. was born in 1916.   What became of them I don't know - although I have tried to trace the life of Olga there is nothing of her in the records and I have to assume the mother  remarried when her marriage to Charlie ended and  the child's name was changed.

My memories of Grampie?  Well, in my mind I see him dressed in navy blue overalls, on his back under a car, with that particularly greasy smell peculiar to motor mechanics, and on the other hand dressed immaculately in his dinner suit on his way out to Lodge.  From his little black purse he used to hand out threepences  to us children and buy ice cream cones all round on demand of his wife

He became very hard of hearing as time passed - One could not have a conversation with Grampie without having him cup his hand to his ear and with raised eyebrows say "Ey?".  Now, in hindsight, encumbered with a partially deaf husband  I can understand Nan's frustration and impatience in this regard.  Still, this didn't impair the harmony in their home - they were very devoted to and dependent upon each other.  Charlie was devastated when Nan passed away - he became a very lonely old man who lived only for the joy brought to him by his family.  For four years he resided with my Mother and Father in North Manly until he became ill with what was thought to be gall bladder problems.   However, when operated upon, Cancer was found and he passed away only about three weeks later. 

Although to many of us Grampie was not our biological grandfather, we knew no other and his place in our lives and affections was an integral part of our growing up.

Never to be forgotten, this beautiful man!


Return to top of page
Last updated 07 January 2006
© Marion Woolgar