Brighton

 

The parish of St. Nicholas was the ancient parish of Brighton and it is built on a hill overlooking the old town. The present building dates from the 14th Century and is faced in flint. However, a church was recorded at Brighton in Domesday in 1086 and the present church has a Norman font standing in the south aisle.

The churchyard is said to mark the site of a Black Death plague-pit of 1348 and by the 19th Century it was severely overcrowded with graves, such was the size of this parish. An extension churchyard to the east was consecrated in 1818; another extension on the northern side of Church Street was opened in 1824; a third extension was opened in Dyke Road in 1841; and finally it was closed to new burials on 01 October 1853 when the Parochial Cemetery in Lewes Road was opened.

Although dozens of Woolgar's were buried at St. Nicholas, sadly no headstones remain today.

Return to top of page

Cavendish Place

Cavendish Place, Brighton is a very prestigious address and William Woolgar of Bramber (Charts 1 & 5 number 23) owned two freehold houses here in 1830 and named them in his Will.  Today, Cavendish Place is part of the Regency Square Conservation Area.

"The Encyclopaedia of Brighton" by Timothy Carder (published by East Sussex County Libraries 1990 ISBN 0861473159) states:
"Built in about 1829 by A. H. Wilds, this cul-de-sac is lined with four- and five-storey houses adorned with balconies and Corinthian pilasters, all listed except nos. 3 and 14; nos 5 - 6 also have bows.  No. 6 has a plaque to the Irish dramatist Dion Boucicault who lived there from 1862 until 1872, while no. 12 was the home of writer Horace Smith from 1840 to 1849.  At the top of the road stands The Curzon, a most elegant listed hotel with ironwork balconies; it was originally two separate residences known as the Cavendish Mansions.

Return to top of page
Last updated 07 January 2006
© Marion Woolgar