Seaford

This is the parish church of St. Leonard, Sutton cum Seaford. This large Medieval church was built in Norman times when Seaford was a busy port at the estuary of the River Ouse.  When the river silted up on the Seaford side, the port moved to the other bank of the river and the settlement of Meeching became the port of Newhaven.

The Seaford and Newhaven areas are an important location for the Woolgar Family which has lived there since at least 1700 and probably well before then.  Outside the door of Seaford church stand two very prominent memorials to the Woolgar's of Seaford.

Return to top of page
Last updated 07 January 2006
© Marion Woolgar