Shipley

The church of St. Mary the Virgin, Shipley is located in a very tranquil part of Sussex, well away from the busy roads.  Alongside the church runs the tiny stream which later in its course becomes the River Adur.  Close by is Kings Mill, a smock mill which is still in working order.  On a summer's day, there is no finer, more peaceful, place to visit in all Sussex.

The church was built by the Knights Templar's around 1125 to serve a preceptory which they established there.  In the churchyard there are many memorials to the Woolgar family dating from both the 19th and 20th Centuries.

Return to top of page
Last updated 07 January 2006
© Marion Woolgar