Upper Beeding

St. Peter's Church, Upper Beeding is in a neighbouring village to Bramber, separated by the River Adur.  Sir William de Braose founded the Benedictine priory of Sele here in 1075 and this was originally the priory church.  Unfortunately, very little of the original church remains, thanks to over enthusiastic "restoration" in Victorian times.

There are no surviving Woolgar headstones in the churchyard, but this was an important location for the Woolgar family from Elizabethan times and some members of the family live there today.  Across the lane from the Church, stands the extension burial ground which does contain family memorials.

Return to top of page
Last updated 07 January 2006
© Marion Woolgar